BXPA1 Digitrax / Loconet DCC Auto-Reverser with Detection, Transponding & Power Management (Scale = ALL) Part # 245-BXPA1
The BXPA1 is a combination DCC Auto-Revereser, occupancy detector, Transponding detector, and intelligent power manager. It is designed to make transponding implementation easy and provide advanced DCC track management by communicating all state information to LocoNet. The BXPA1 is silent solid state and uses no mechanical relays for auto-reversing.
- Automatic reversing for one reversing section or sub-district.
- DCC Occupancy Detection for 1 Auto-Reversing Section letting you know when equipped rolling stock is in a detection section on your layout.
- Integrated Transponding Zone lets you know the location of transponder-equipped locos or rolling stock.
- Intelligent Automatic short-circuit and over-current power management, improves reliability by avoiding most booster shutdowns.
- Connects to LocoNet to transmit Detection Section occupancy, Transponding and track power information.
- Detects most powered locomotives in a Detection Section.
- Detects rolling stock equipped with resistor wheel sets.
- Identify where specific rolling stock is on your layout with Digitrax transponder-equipped locos and rolling stock.
- Plug and Play with Digitrax DCC systems.
- LED indication of Detection Section occupancy, Transponding, power status, and reversing section status.
- Additional connections for opto-isolated occupancy detector output, manual power control, and remote status indicator.
- Easy-connect pluggable track wire terminal blocks can plug-in straight or at right angles.
- Operations Mode Read Back allows you to read CV values of decoders equipped with transponders when on track.
- Firmware update capability via IPL over LocoNet.
4 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
These are going to fit in very well on our layout.
Originally the loop and the line were controlled by two separate Digitrax DB150s, but the one controlling the loop also controlled another loop on the layout and I would get occasional short trips when two trains tried to cross at two separate boundaries at the same time. I installed the Digitrax BXPA1 because I did not want a relay involved. I switched the wiring to use the line for the source and fed the loop from the output of the BXPA1. This seemed to work okay for a while but I still occasionally got stalls or slowdowns as the train cross the gap (so now my problem was local, and I no longer had interference from the 'other' loop). I'm using Kato uni-track and I finally determined that I was getting BOTH leading wheels crossing the gap simultaneously and the BXPA1 sees this as a reverse and a short at the same time. The solution is to offset the gaps slightly. I used the shortest piece of extension track I could find on both legs (28 mm) and staggered the insulated joiners so you can get a reverse without a two wheel short. Flawless since then. This worked for me because the track where I staggered the joints is actually a straight line and I did not impact the curved track inside the loop. If you can't insert short sections, I think you could just offset the insluated gaps by a whole section of track, or get out your razor saw and fill the joint with styrene. Some other brand had suggested the offset when I was researching.
The operation of this unit is very simple and works well with auto reversing with dcc and has block detection, is all a plus. Installation is not that easy, lots to read and test, no images to refer to. The lettering for the ports are very small and you have to remove the not so easy quick connections to see the labels. The product is very good but the literature isn't.
Item was packaged great, as was the shipping. This item worked as stated. Well worth the money.